About Me

My photo
I'm Charity. I am a born and bred, die hard South African. Rooted to the land,fascinated by the cultural diversity,conscious of our history,engaged in our present and committed to our future. I espouse responsible citizenship and patriotism as a means to defining national identity. (See My SA Links)

Wednesday, 23 January 2008

Holding on to power

I celebrated my birthday earlier this month. It was a quiet day, with intermittent calls from well wishers. Apart from the start of a new year, my birthday prompts me to reflect. Personal growth, relationships, professional amibitions, etc. all come under review. And the conclusion? My journey continues...
Of course, I have not had the luxury of being oblivious to the electricity crisis. I am pissed off that we are where we are, because of poor planning by the only provider of electricity in this country. And I believe we are all entitled to voice our frustration with the dismal state of affairs. But in wearing my responsible citizen's cap, I also realise that we need to adjust our actions and attitudes to cope with this situation. The question is: will that be enough?
In the meantime, I'm trying to get a clue about how to minimise my household's dependency on electricity (and hopefully cut Eskom out of my straining budget).
The one action that we've taken over the past few years, which has been easiest, is to switch to Compact Flourescent Light (CFL) bulbs. They cost more initially, but according to the experts they last longer and use less power.
I'm still training myself to remember to switch the geyser off during peak times.

No comments:

2010 World Cup Countdown

Web Search

Google